From abuse, assault and domestic violence to robbery, rape and murder, criminal charges involving violent crimes are serious matters that are best handled by a skilled legal professional. While a qualified criminal defense lawyer can adeptly navigate through the complex body of criminal law as well as the nuances of the court system, he will also be able to aggressively articulate a strong criminal defense in any necessary legal proceeding, from the arraignment and bail hearing through to trial.
With the help of an experienced criminal defense lawyer, defendants will have the best chances of:
- Getting the charges against them reduced
- Minimizing their risk of being convicted
- Getting through the legal process as efficiently and successfully as possible
Violent Crime Statistics in Los Angeles
According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS, a subsidiary of the U.S. Department of Justice), violent crimes are classified into five distinct categories, which include: simple assault, aggravated assault, robbery, rape and murder.
In Los Angeles County, the LA Police Department reports that, in 2008:
- The homicide rate has increased by about 4 percent (to a rate of 9.6 per 100,000 population)
- The rate of forcible rape decreased by approximately 14 percent (to a rate of 18.9 per 100,000 population)
- The rate of robbery decreased by about 8 percent (to a rate of 310.2 per 100,000 population)
- The rate of aggravated assault decreased by approximately 6 percent (to a rate of 302.4 per 100,000 population)
Keep in mind that the above numbers indicate the percentage of people arrested for a given violent crime; they do not indicate the number of those convicted of that crime.
Contact a Criminal Lawyer in Los Angeles
Over the past decade, violent crime rates in Los Angeles County (as well as throughout the U.S.) have been declining. Nevertheless, thousands of Los Angeles residents are arrested and charged with crimes each year.
If you or a loved one is charged with a violent crime in the Los Angeles region, don't take chances with your future. Contact the Sigal Law Group for highly skilled and dedicated representation in your case. Keep in mind, only a skilled criminal defense lawyer will be able to provide you with the aggressive representation you need.
Call today and speak with an attorney who knows the criminal system in Los Angeles.