If you are arrested and charged with a crime in the greater Los Angeles area choosing the right criminal defense attorney can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. It is important to choose an aggressive defense lawyer with a proven record of success. But, how do you find the right lawyer?
The Internet has made finding a lawyer easier than ever. But how do you know if you are choosing the right lawyer? The following are some guidelines that can help you choose the right lawyer for your case:
- Ask friends and family for referrals. But, remember this is not the time to hire someone you know who has little experience.
- When you call an attorney's office to schedule a consultation make sure you will be talking to the attorney directly and not to the receptionist or paralegal.
- Ask about past successes in cases similar to your own. Make sure he or she concentrates his or her practice in the area of defense you need.
- Discuss the facts of your case and ask how he or she plans to proceed.
- During the consultation make sure the attorney is listening to the details of your case. If the attorney isn't paying attention to your case, he or she may not be the right attorney for you.
- Does he or she provide you with an honest assessment of your case? Or does it seem like he or she is telling you what you want to hear? You want to make sure you can trust your attorney.
- Make sure the attorney answers all your questions so you can walk away feeling confident.
- Ask the attorney about his or her fees before signing an agreement.
- Ask the attorney if he or she belongs to any legal groups or associations. This can give you an idea of how much he or she stays on top of changes to the laws.
Choosing the right attorney can seem overwhelming. You just want to make sure you take the right steps and don't rely on advertising slogans that simply sound good. Talk to your prospective attorney, ask him or her questions specific to your case, and make sure you feel confident with your decision.