On of the most common mistakes people make in a criminal case is speak to the police prior to consulting with a Los Angeles criminal defense attorney. Often times when a person is accused of a crime, it is not the evidence against them, such as witness accounts or physical evidence of the crime, but the statements that they make to police officers after the fact that end up being the most damaging in a criminal case.
Speaking To Police Before a Criminal Defense Attorney Is a Big Mistake
It is quite understandable and human nature to want to explain yourself in a circumstance when you are accused of a crime. You may want to take your way out of it or simply explain something; either way talking to a police officer without your criminal defense attorney present is a huge mistake.
Generally speaking, if the police have enough evidence to arrest you for a crime, they will. They may sometimes want to speak with your regarding certain aspects of their case, but if they can arrest you for a crime they will. It is their job. Also know the following:
- When interviewing a criminal suspect, police can legally lie to get a person they suspect committed a crime to admit certain things;
- It is the police officer's job to arrest people for criminal acts. Just like it is the butcher's job to sell you meat, the dentist job to fix your teeth and criminal defense attorney's job to be your advocate and only friend in a criminal matter. The more people they arrest for crimes, the better they do.
- So when it comes to hearing your side of the story, without a criminal defense attorney present, you will most likely not be heard and the police will hear only what they want to hear.
- The most damaging evidence against a person in a criminal case is usually statements made the by the persona accused of a crime. Physical evidence and witness accounts of a crime can be attacked in court; confessions are much harder to get around.
- Police may ask you questions which sound like they have nothing to do with the crime that you are accused of.
For instance: You may say “I was at the store that night but I didn't shoot anyone”
In that statement you are not admitting to a crime but you have now admitted to being at the scene. This is an obdvious example, the police use tactics that are a lot more subtle when investigating a crime.
- If you are suspected of a crime, the police are not your friends. They may seem like nice people and in fact they are just doing the jobs protecting our community. A difficult job at that. But if you are accused of a crime, no matter how nice they are being to you, their goal is to arrest a criminal and if they feel that is you, the more you talk the worse it is.
The Earlier You Call A Criminal Defense Attorney the Better We Can Help
If you or a loved one is accused of a crime, the best move you can make is to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney. At SIGAL LAW GROUP we have handled numerous cases where a person has yet to be arrested for a crime. Many times we find that the earlier we can get involved in a situation, the better for our clients. Often, our criminal defense attorneys are able to resolve it without any criminal charges being filed. The sooner you call the sooner we can help. Contact a Los Angeles criminal defense attorney today. CALL 818 325-0570
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment